Thursday, February 25, 2010

True Progress

On occasion, I have been accused by some folks as being overly focused on the negative aspects of our local history. Usually because so much of my research, largely still unpublished, has centered around the injustices of the past in our area. Tonight, I used some of that research in my National Government class, and during the drive home thought about these numbers for a while:

1960 - Webster Parish Louisiana
     Population - 39,701
     Registered voters - 12,347
          White voters - 12, 217 - 99%
          Black voters -       130 -   1%

2010 - Webster Parish Louisiana
     Population - est - 40,754
     Registered voters - 25,594
          White voters - 17,637 - 69%
          Black voters -   7,957 - 31%

I am so very proud of the progress we as a people have made toward treating "all men as created equal" during my lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. I've now read all your blog and love it! Keep up the good work, John!

    Pat Stephens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat, I appreciate you reading.

    ReplyDelete