Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Footnote to Local History



One of my favorite quotes by Harry Truman is, "the only thing new in the world is history you don't know." Well, this morning I became aware of some "history I didn't know."

A few years ago I devoted one of my newspaper columns to the story of the 1938 robbery of the Minden Bank and Trust. The gist of that story was that the bank was robbed by a gang from Indiana who worked with a local family that helped hide them after the robbery.

This morning I received an invitation to take part in a seminar being held in Houston in April, about a biography that has been written about one of the main particpants in that bank robbery, Truman Mahoney. It seems that Mahoney had an infamous career as bank robbers. He was a prolific and deadly robber and ended up spending many years in Federal prison.

Later in life Mahoney found Jesus Christ as his savior and changed his way of life. The biography, Hounded: Truman's Story, was written by the minister who helped lead Mahoney to Christ.

Not sure about attending this seminar, I really don't have much to offer, other than the story of the local robbery, but I am ordering a copy of the book. It found it fascinating to learn the "rest of the story" about this criminal who has a small place in local history and look forward to reading his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment