Sunday, March 28, 2010

LSU Libraries to Digitize Selected Louisiana Newspapers



While I am disappointed that no Minden newspapers made the grade, I am very excited to see this project underway. As I've mentioned before the only thing that partially makes up for the loss of almost all Minden newspapers from the 19th Century is the occasions when other newspapers quoted Minden papers. Nearly every paper in those years had a page for news from other areas and I am certain many "lost" events in Minden history will now be easier to find. I look forward to the one paper from Homer, the several papers from Shreveport and all the other Louisiana papers that will soon be available in a digital form. Particularly as I grow older and my eyes get worse, having a search engine makes using these resources so much easier and you can't beat the ease of searching from your own home computer. Can't wait until next year when this project is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment