Monday, May 24, 2010

Bridges to the Past

An earlier post discussed the various steamboat wrecks on Bayou Dorcheat and how low water made them  visible. Well, today Dorcheat is at as low a level as I can recall seeing and that low water has "exposed" another piece of our past.

During the Steamboat Era, Minden was served by three landings on the east bank of Bayou Dorcheat. The Minden Lower Landing at Overton, the Middle Landing and the Minden Upper Landing, known as Murrell's Point. Murrell's Point was located just across the Bayou from today's Dorcheat Seafood and Grill in the area surrounding the two Highway 80 bridges. The old bridge was built in 1929-1930 as the Dixie Overland Highway, the old name for Highway 80, was constructed across the country. The newer bridge was built in the late 1950s when Highway 80 was rerouted and widened.

The low water has revealed the pilings for earlier bridges apparently on the same site as the old bridge. Based on what can be seen there seem to have been earlier bridges at that point. We know that in 1854-55, the Claiborne Parish Police Jury appropriated funds for a bridge at Murrell's Point. We also know that this bridge was not particularly well built. About a decade later, as General Polignac brought his troops to Minden for winter quarters in 1864, he was uncertain about trying to cross the bridge because of its dilapidated condition. He even included a sketch of the condition of the bridge in his personal journal. The army only crossed after being shamed when a buggy of women from Minden struck out across the bridge. The army followed. (The heavy equipment of the army was always shipped on the bayou, rather than overland because of the poor condition of the roads.)

I have always assumed that the original bridge was probably in the same location as that old Highway 80 bridge. However, it now seems that another possibility exists. The current low water has revealed the following just north of that old 80 bridge.


These piers have emerged for the first time in my memory and clearly show that at some point in the past, a bridge was located across Dorcheat at this point. I had noticed these piers over the weekend and this morning I received a call from Henry Laurence, asking me if I had noticed them. After his call I went out and snapped this picture. (I apologize for the quality, but the iPhone isn't a "world class" camera.) Not visible in the image -- at least not to my failing eyes -- are the piers over against the east bank. Another point that Henry mentioned and I noticed is that the projected path of any road using a bridge at this point is blocked by large, old Cypress trees. To me, that suggests that this may well be the crossing point of the oldest road, the one used by General Polignac and that these piers supported that old creaky bridge that held those Confederate troops briefly at bay.

2 comments:

  1. Is this supposed to be a bridge that runs parallel with the current Hwy 80? When was this bridge replaced? Oh, I agree with you about the I Phone cameras. And I wouldn't try to get any closer without snake repellent. Oh, did I remember you post that Claiborne split into Webster and Claiborne at one point. I suppose that was why the Claiborne Police Jury built the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bridge would have run paralell to the present Highway 80 bridge and the old Highway 80 bridge. Those piers are located just north of the old Highway 80 bridge that has been closed for at least 30 years. I remember driving through that old route back when I was in high school in my 1959 Ford Galaxie 500, but it's been blocked for many years.

    At the time the bridge was built in the 1850s, Dorcheat was the western boundary of Claiborne Parish. Bossier Parish had been created in 1843 between Dorcheat and the Red River. In 1871 the strip of Bossier between Dorcheat and Clark's Bayou was added to Webster when the parish was created.

    ReplyDelete