Monday, August 9, 2010

Back from Commercial Break With Requests

Okay, now that I've gotten my ad for my book out of the way, I want to talk a little bit about a project I'm working on and see if anyone that reads this might have some helpful information. In conjunction with a local artist -- I didn't get permission to use this person's name or talk about the project so I'll be somewhat vague -- I've been researching the construction of the old Community House that stood in Victory Park. Saturday I went to Baton Rouge and completed my newspaper research about the story and will be publishing an upcoming Echo about that building by the first part of September.



In this process I've had several of the usual twists that come in doing research. The first was realizing how I lose track of changes, even though I'm conciously aware of when they take place. When I was first asked about writing this article for a brief moment I had forgotten that the old building was gone. Then, after bringing myself back to reality, it took me a few days to realize just how long it had been gone. At the 80th birthday reception for Blanchard Youngblood I had the chance so speak to an old friend, Blanchard's son Wayne, for the first time in nearly 30 years. Wayne mentioned that when he heard his Dad's reception was being held in the Community House he immediately thought of the old building. He then asked me how long it had been gone. I was stunned when I realized I chaperoned a high school dance at the "new" building over 17 years ago, and the building was not "brand new" at that time. So, it was a little startling to realize not only was the old Community House "gone" but it is "long gone."

That building was the site of so many civic events and particularly dances for teenagers over the years. Many great musicians played at that venue, starting with Joe Stampley and including many others. In researching I also discovered at least two new pieces of information. 

First, for years I had repeated a story I had been told by a "reliable" source that the plans for the building had been drawn by Minden's mayor at the time, David Thomas. Mr. Thomas was an amazing man, a lawyer, journalism professor, poet and Bible scholar. But apparently he did not draw up the plans, all contemporary sources give credit to two other people, one of them a local lady.

The second new revelation involved the actual construction of the building. I had always known that the building was partially funded by the NYA (National Youth Administration) of the New Deal. I did not know until the last few days that the construction workers hired on the job were unemployed local teenagers following the New Deal Keynesian strategy of putting the unemployed to work building needed infrastructure projects for the country.

So, for those of you that read this blog, I've got two questions I hope some of you will be able or willing to answer.

The first is I would like to hear any "Community House" memories you have -- particularly memorable bands that played there. I was a "non-dancing" Baptist, who was too shy to date, so I only went to one dance there, but I know many of you had great times you might want to share.

The second is more of a longshot, but it's worth a try. If any of you know of anyone who actually worked on building the project, please let me know. The building was constructed in 1937-38, so the youngest possible workers would be around 86 or 87 years old, most probably older. So, if you know of someone that's told stories about this project, I'd appreciate learning about their experiences.

If you have some input, you can add it in the comments section of the blog or e-mail them to me directly at jaagan@bellsouth.net

Thanks in advance.

2 comments:

  1. My first Community House memory is attending a concert by the local blues-rock band Blind Lemon around 1971-1972. I was 4-5 years old; my parents were friends of the band. I ran around with other little kids while our folks rocked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family lived around the corner from the Community House and Victory Park. I was the oldest of four and have many happy memories of "victory dances" after football games on Friday nights. But living so close gave me one problem that the other kids my age didn't have to contend with. From time to time during the dances, I would look up to see my younger siblings "spying" on me through the windows! They would have their little faces pressed right up to the glass with their hands cupped around their faces squinting to see what was going on. Talk about crushing a romantic slow dance! I was horrified and would later cry to Mama and Daddy that "those kids" had embarrassed me. Guess what? They'd be right back next week. Funny now. Wasn't then.

    ReplyDelete